Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Days in the Navy

While sifting through my archives in preparation for submission to The Eddie Adams Workshop, i've chanced upon the pictures taken during the course of my 2 and a half years with the Navy. Looking back, it was a significant period of my life no matter how often i bemoan the days. I didn't know it yet, but that was my introduction to photojournalism.

I was acutely aware that having a camera in hand, brings me places, shows me things i wouldn't normally have seen. From live firing in the South China Sea, to roaming the majestic Kittyhawk (and other Nimitz class carriers) when they docked. On hindsight, i should have appreciated the access given to me more.

I guess that's why they keep saying that "Life has to be lived forward, just so you can understand it backwards."


Landing ship tank returns from Iraq.


Returning from their tour-of-duty in Iraq, sailors from the Republic of Singapore Navy come home to a boisterous reception by family and loved ones.


Sea Expedition at the crack of dawn.


Grenade!


Base Defense. Troopers patrol the naval base 24/7.


Decontamination Point.



I won some awards with these pictures. Nothing major, just small time community awards. But then again, nobody got into photojournalism to get rich. Never happened, never will.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger sarah | luvx3 said...

hey dude! These are awesome! I do hope you'll get through the workshop submission. Good luck! :)

April 30, 2008 at 11:59 PM  
Blogger Joel B said...

Hey Sarah,

Turns out plans have changed. Eddie Adams may just have to wait. Been too busy this year to put together a good application. But hey well, better late than never! Hope you're doing fine too!

May 2, 2008 at 7:54 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home